The Anna Maria Samuel Project: Race, Remembrance, and Reconciliation

On November 22, 2019, the President of Salem Academy and College announced that The Commission on Slavery and Its Legacy at Salem Academy and College was renamed “The Anna Maria Samuel Project: Race, Remembrance, and Reconciliation.” The name change better reflects the scope of the work of the Commission and also honors one of the first African-American students at the Girls School in Salem (1793 to 1795). Anna Maria’s father was the first man baptized in Salem, and her siblings were well-known members of St. Philip’s Moravian Church, located immediately south of the College campus on Church Street. Anyone wishing to know more about Anna Maria Samuel may visit the Academy and College museum in the Single Sisters House.

Commission Members

Co-Chairs

  • Rev. Dr. Amy Rio, Chaplain, Salem Academy & College
  • Ms. Michelle Hopkins Lawrence, Academy History Teacher

Members

  • Khadijah Bangura C’21
  • Jessica Blackburn C’21
  • Jessi Bowman C’18
  • Robin Campbell, Director of College Counseling Services
  • Nora Doyle, Chair, College Department of History and Political Science
  • Kasey Collins Hayes A’03
  • Tamia House C’20
  • Alan Mueller, Assistant Dean of Students for Student Activities, Leadership, and Intercultural Education, College
  • Ashleigh Nelson C’20
  • Elizabeth Novicki, Director of Libraries
  • Felecia Penn A'03, Director of Student Activities, Academy
  • Shawn Ricks, Assistant Vice President for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion